Thursday, April 07, 2005

Get Onto the Street and Shout... BE REASONABLE - Lecture 5 Post-Op

Oh, lovely….activism…and Online Political Activism at that. This harkens back to the US election last year (yes I am originally from the US, so I followed that election really closely along with this one) when in the lead up to it there was a very large amount of online activist sites, mostly on the democrat side, trying to get WBush not re-elected. What they did, they did in 18 months (moveon.org etc), which is amazing because the right had taken a good few decades to create such an engine to power on the election campaign. That’s probably my personal connection to this weeks lecture, although I am creating an activist blog website like thing in one of my other classes, but that is ages away from starting let along finishing. This is the location of the final product, it'll be there when its finished:

Exposure - An Activist Site

Also, I have a link in my blinks section to something called the News Dissector, which is a, well, political site, but it isn’t biased in that it hits out at both sides, whenever either does something dodge (US politics still). This of course means the site usually hosts articles on dodgy stuff done by the Republican side cause their dodgy stuff is a lot more obvious atm. I mentioned this site earlier, and it has finally come in handy!

Onto the lecture, I hadn’t actually known about the different versions of the Internet, which really I should have. Too bad about the Brisbane Indymedia site, real bummer when things like that don’t work out :( I have done a number of classes that used the concept of Tactical versus Strategic media use, so that was kinda known-known. The different politicisations was interesting, e.g. of Culture (in the case of music activism) as well as informational and political.

I have no idea why it has changed to this font, no meaning intended.

I also just realised that I performed my own form of political activism on a weblogs earlier on, with my 'article' on smoking' here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home